D A T C O T O U R
|HOME||South America||Central America||Falkland Islands||Antarctica||Unique
North Pantanal, Brasil
ABOUT THE POUSADA RIO MUTUM - in their own words:
The Hotel, Pousada do Rio Mutum, is situated in the Pantanal in the region of Barao de Melgaco within one of the most beautiful areas of the Pantanal in the central state of Mato Grosso (Brazil). This region of the Pantanal is distinguished by an unusual variety of landscapes integrating hills, lakes, rivers and grassy plains.
The Hotel Pousada do Rio Mutum lies, as its name indicates, on the river Mutum, shortly before it terminates into the two "great lakes", of witch the lager and famous one is called Baia de Chacorore, having a diameter of more than 15 km and is easily accessibly from the hotel.
Pousada do Rio Mutum gives you the opportunity to stay in the middle of the nature including a large variety of wild animals in a secure, comfortably and private setting. Explore with us this unique eco-system in our "charming hotel" were our friendly staff makes our lodge a very special and unique experience. Our cozy chalets are private and located in a natural garden setting. Besides the beauty of nature you will be ably to relax and enjoy great moments and in our pool area after your daily tours into the Pantanal jungle.
Facilities and infrastructure:
- 22 cottage like apartments, distributed in a park area of 07 hectares, all with air conditioning, ceiling fans, minibar, mini closet, hammock and private porch
- Reception and tv room
- Restaurant with a varied regional menu
- Adult and children swimming pool with a panoramic bar
- Hammocks under mango trees
- Souvenir and convenience stores
- Laundry services
- Toyota Jeep for safaris and excursions
- Motor boats for trips through the bays
- Rowing canoes
- Vehicles with air conditioning for transfer
- Runway for small aircrafts
- Telephone line: DDD, DDI and Satellite Internet
From Cuiabá airport to Pousada do Rio Mutum - Pantanal Lodge there is a 130 km distance, of which 50 km in highways and 80 km of dust roads. The trip takes 02h30min to 03h00min during drought periods; during flood periods it can take longer, depending on the conditions of the roads. Since the road is trans-Pantanal, one can enjoy the beautiful landscape and the various species of birds and small animals during the trip.
- Trails around the Pousada for fauna and flora observation
- Horseback riding through dense forests, crossing small rivers and flooded areas
- Canoe trips through the wetlands
- Departures at dawn in order to enjoy the sunrise and life in the Pantanal
- Departures at dusk in order to view night active animals in the Pantanal
- Boat or Jeep Safaris and excursions covering over 50 km of total nature immersion in order to observe the local fauna and flora
- Visits to Cuiabá-Mirim, a river side community of fishermen at the Cuiabá river
- Motor boat trips through the bays and small rivers for observation of the fauna and flora, with stops to enjoy the sunset and the famous piranha fishing
- Photographic Safari through the Mutum River, with its rare and unique beauty
CLIMATE & PACKING HINTS:
Except for the winter (Juine trhough August), when the temperature sometimes is below 10º C, the average temperature for the remaining months of the years is above 25º C, with maximum temperatures over 40º C. This wide thermal variation may be explained by the distance from the ocean and the penetration of cold fronts in the region.
Given the climate characteristics, we suggest that your luggage should include the following items:
- Light and light colored clothes
- Hats and caps
- Sunscreen lotion
- Mosquito repelling lotion
- Raincoat (from September to May
- Coats ( for possible cold fronts from May to September)
- Used sneakers (for walks in dust trails and horseback riding in the flooded areas)
- Personal medication.
Sample 5-day/4-night program
1st day: Cuiabá/Pantanal
Reception and assistance upon your arrival at Cuiaba Airport. Transfer to the Pousada Rio Mutum, passing through the small village of Mimoso, where Candido Rondon was born. Arrival at the Pousada at dinner time (reception with welcome drink). After dinner the facilities of the Pousada as well as the program for the next days will be presented.
2nd day: Pantanal - Visit of the biggest colony of breeding birds of the whole Pantanal May to Setember** The visit will be made by motorboat and will take about 3 hours. This colony is considered an almost "sacred" place inhabited from April to October by a great number of species of birds, like herons, storks, cormorants or spoonpeak , which construct thousands of nests at this place at the banks of a river. Fishing of piranhas is also possible here. Lunch at the Pousada. In the late afternoon boat-tour to the beautiful lake of "Sià Mariana" awaiting sunset there and watching herons and other birds aiming at their sleeping trees. After dark observation of crocodiles and other night-active animals by means of searchlight. October to April** After breakfast: ecological hiking tour through the wilderness of the Pantanal, visiting some settlements of the native "caboclos" with their palm thatched huts. People¹s hospitality will provide you with a lot of impressions of their lives together with a very stimulating drink of genuine "guarana".Lunch at the lodge and after lunch: Horse trekking through typical Pantanal landscapes. reception at a Fazenda which is situated at the lake Sia Mariana, awaiting sunset there. People will return from there by boat. On the way back there is an opportunity of Piranha fishing
3rd day: Pantanal/Trekking/Horseriding
After breakfast, there is a boat ride until a "corixo", where a walking trail begins which goes to the Chacororé bay that has more than 15km of extension. Lunch is at the lodge and in the afternoon a ride by car or boat will take you to the Mutum River for a photografic safari of an almost unexplored area of the river, with a boat ride to observe the wildlife of Pantanal. At night Jeep Safari to observe the night life .
Dinner and overnight rest.
4th day: Pantanal
After breakfast tri: ecological horse trekking through the wilderness of the Pantanal. Lunch at the lodge and after lunch and in the afternoon a boat trip to the small community of native fishermen called Cuiaba Mirim at the Cuiaba River, to know their customs. Upon return to the Pousada you will be welcomed with a mug of piranha soup .After that dinner will be served. Night rest.
5th day: Pantanal/Cuiabá
After breakfast return to Cuiaba Airport and departure.
* Transport Cuiabá - Pousada - Cuiabá;( anytime of the day)
* Accommodation with full pension;
* Bilingual guides speakers( German/ English/ Italian/ Spanish)
* *Please note tours may be changed to fit your specific needs. However, we reserve the right to modify the program resulting from changes in the Pantanal ecosystem.*
* Beverages, fishing equipment and other extras that are not mentioned in the program description.